This course unitesexperts in maritime and nautical archaeology and others specialists in various scientific related fields, to discuss with course participants the full spectrum of maritime and nautical archaeology in the Mediterranean. The chosen format – a short, intense course conducted in an accelerated summer school session –allows participation by many European specialists, affording students direct contact withprofessionals working and studying in the fields of maritime and nautical archaeology and other related areas.This workshop will establish a creative environment for discussing the present and future of the archaeological, historical and ethnographic nautical heritage of the Mediterranean.
The course is divided into four thematic units:
• The ship and its environment: technology and navigation;
• The ship as a reflection of society;
• Nautical heritage and its value to today's world;
• Nautical archaeology and ethnography in the digital era.
Coming from different cultural and geographical backgrounds, the lecturers will discuss the main topics through their respective experiences inscientific research, transfer of knowledge, and public promotion. They will providean overview of the current situation and trends inmaritime and nautical archaeology in the Mediterranean, highlighting selected examples of the best practices at the European level.
Motivated and qualified participants (15 in all) will be selectedbased on the quality of theirapplications. They will be exposed tovarious research topics and experiences, new methodologies, and cutting-edgeresults, all the while building their professional network. At the completion of the workshop, MA student participants will receive 3 ECTS credits, issued by the University of Zadar.
The course is anticipated to run from 09:00 – 18:00 daily, with lunch and dinner provided. There will be many chances to take advantage of theDubrovnik location, including visiting the city and its environments, scuba diving, and other opportunities to meet people, make contacts and exchange ideas.
Advanced MA students, PhD candidates and post-doctoral early-career researchers can apply to the summer school. They will present in 30 min their own research projects.
The accommodation will be provided in or around the Inter-university Centre. Participants should cover their own travel expenses. The participation fee is 100 €. Grants are available (see the application form).
Candidates need to send their applications by email both to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org before February 28th, 2017.
The application must be composed of the following documents:
• the application form attached
• a brief curriculum vitae (1-2 pages max)
• a presentation of candidate’s own related research (1-2 pages max)
Candidates will be informed by March, 15th if they have been successful, in order to book their travel.
It is expected that the participants will attend all the sessions.
Major Support Provided by:
• Croatian Science Foundation (Project AdriaS – Archaeology of Adriatic Shipbuilding and Seafaring, IP-2014-09-8211),
• Laboratory of Excellence LabexMed “Social Sciences and Humanities at the heart of interdisciplinary research for the Mediterranean Studies” (10-LABX-0090), Aix-en-Provence, France
• University of Zadar, Zadar, Croatia
• Centre Camille Jullian, Aix-en-Provence, France
• UNESCO Chair of Mediterranean Maritime Archaeology, Aix Marseille University, Aix-en-Provence, France
• Inter-university Centre, Dubrovnik, Croatia
• Ministry of Science, Education and Sports (MZOS), Zagreb, Croatia
• Scientific Council for Maritime Affairs of the Croatian Academy of Science and Arts, Zagreb, Croatia
• MoMarch, Master of Maritime and Coastal Archaeology, Fondation *Amidex,Aix Marseille University, Aix-en-Provence, France
• Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the French Republic (MAEDI), Paris, France
• Ecolefrançaise de Rome (EfR), Rome, Italy
• Département des recherchesarchéologiques sous-marines et subaquatiques, DRASSM, Marseille, France
• Institute for Maritime Heritage ARS NAUTICA, Tkon, Croatia